Saturday, November 15, 2008

Overpriced tickets and culinary anticipation

I'm on Caribbean Airlines' Web site hunting for a plane ticket home. My mother, finally, has won the battle to lure me to Trinidad.

The $79 one-way promotional fare looks pretty on the homepage, but the actual booking is nowhere near that. Black-out dates are not so pretty. Neither is driving to and from Ft. Lauderdale or flying--with a hangover?--on New Year's Day.

When the deed is done and the bank account lighter, I call my father with the date and e-mail my brothers and friends.

My brother writes back:

GREAT,
It must b fate.
I can't wait.
I go fix u a special plate.
be on time don't be late.
we bringing in soap by d crate.

i dint tell u i was a song writer too.

Love u

God, I love my family. Props to my mother for the convincing guilt trip.


Photo of pastelle courtesy Can Cook, Must Cook

5 comments:

Jayne Neverow said...

Is dat pastelles I smell? Any time with the fam is well spent. Ditto for the cash it takes. Have a safe & enjoyable trip.

Katness said...

Not sure which I'll enjoy more, the fam or the food. Or the time off from deadlines and school.

slacker said...

does this mean I get to see you?

MrScribbler said...

Whichever part of the trip you most enjoy, the whole thing is as necessary as a good night's rest when you're tired.

Get the cheap fare and get ready for some family-style holidayin'!

I can only imagine the joy your decision is generating down home....

Katness said...

D: You know these trips tend to be whirlwind. Will do my best.

Scribbles: Cheap my foot! LOL. OK. So it wasn't that expensive, but it sure wasn't $79 each way.