Whoever said those State & Local Government and Transnational Concerns courses in undergrad three years ago were pointless, lied.I almost feel badly about the days I skipped or dragged myself in late to the 9:10 a.m. class. I’m not a morning person; ask my editor.
But guess what? Now that I cover local government, I’m not (that) clueless. Let this be a lesson to college students everywhere.
Maybe quadratic equations do fit into the grand scheme of things... Or not.
It’s a beat I enjoy most of the time because I’ve made my contacts and I’m comfortable staying on top of the game, but you have to give yourself challenges; new and different things, like features you want to do; otherwise you’ll get mired in commission decisions and land use designations.
Over past few weeks, I realized I got used to a routine covering the city and, while I’m sure you’ve figured out by now it’s exciting stuff (!), I needed to find stories I wanted to do enough to pitch and run with them. I love doing features and I write the hell out of those stories – if I do say so myself.
It took a little bit of adjustment in the schedule, a little bit of extra stress, but working on the two stories I want to this week made me inordinately happy.
Happy enough, almost, to make it into work early.
Photo "Student Learning Advanced Math" by Peter M. Fisher courtesy procorbis.com
No comments:
Post a Comment