At the time, I thought about romantic relationships – remote to me then, and relationships with my family – somewhat contentious with two older brothers who loved to tease me about knobby knees and a big head. (Hey, what can I say? I was smart and needed the brain room.)
I didn’t realize how dealing with sources would translate into managing a different kind of relationship: the professional relationship.
But, for me, it’s slightly different and a little less professional than, say, corporate America. Maybe it’s because of the field.
Sources are the lifeblood of this job. Press releases in my inbox are great, but there’s nothing like being the only member of the press invited to - or who even knows about - an important meeting or getting that 7 a.m. phone call on my cell from someone bursting with information.
Thing is, though, that people only take those steps, go that extra mile, if they like and trust you. I don’t see myself as a reporter constantly trying to be in the know, even if that’s what it might all boil to if you want to get basic.
I figure if I’m honest with interviewees and report what they tell me with integrity and sensitivity, throw in a good dose of humour and friendliness, I’ll be OK. Most importantly, I’m myself.
Yeah, so granted I don’t let it all hang out – that’s for home in front the TV watching House M.D. – but still, people can tell when you’re being real and when you’re just being pushy and using them for their story or a quote.
I like to build and nurture relationships. Covering the city means I’m in constant contact with the same people; I’d rather not be the unrecognized Lady In The Back of the Commission Chambers. It’s OK to, you know, crack jokes and talk off the record. That’s why Mayor Bob Apgar can tease me about jumping out of a plane...
If you can’t manage relationships, deflect date requests from married men, decline commenting on an issue for the sake of objectivity, not paint people into horrible pictures of their real selves because they didn’t give the best interview, there’s no way success will come.
Photo courtesy the city of DeLand
No comments:
Post a Comment