Sunday, February 14, 2010

60,000 words and no goggles

"Never, ever, write in a vacuum."
- Dave Thomas

I decided this afternoon to stop dicking around and start writing my novel in earnest. (I think it started with the gift of a wooden antique book cover.) So I copied and pasted a few excerpts penned in previous creative possessions into one document and started plodding along.

Chapter One. I might as well have typed: Intimidate Thyself.

Two hours later, I have a page and 600 words I'll probably discard for all my troubles. I paused between the flow—if you can call it that—to look up a road map, the weather in April, the make of a 1989 car. And talk to my mother. (She called.)

And realized I was spending too much time trying to get it perfect the first time around. (Sort of like a journalist on deadline?) I also realized that my writing at work is buttressed by interviews and an ordered storyline already in mind. The storyline, I have. Direction? Barely any.

Aha.

So here's a few things I learned today (other than writing is a powerful form of procrastinating from writing):

  • It's OK to say I started writing my first novel. Instinctively, I'd rather keep that to myself, but it's also something I'd like to document and, to a certain extent, share. Talking out the process and getting feedback won't be a bad thing.
  • Don't expect The Zone to kick in at any given moment just because I started writing. It happens, but it didn't today, maybe because I was over-thinking.
  • I might need to slow my roll and start working on plot and character synopses as well as conflicts and resolutions before plunging headfirst into 60,000 words with no goggles.
  • I plan to write every day on evenings (and in between CSI episodes) if I can. Discipline of a ninja, folks.
So, guess what? I started writing my first novel today.

Photo of boys writing on chalkboard in segregated classroom, 1966 Prairie Mission, Ala., by Bob Adelman from Corbis

6 comments:

trinidarlin said...

Good for you. That is excellent. Good luck. My friends keep telling me in all seriousness to put pen to paper (finger to key board) but I hardly ever feel inspired. You're my hero.

GIJoe said...

yaye! congrats on acknowledgement. i'm excited.

sean conner said...

Started working on a short story that had been cooking. Three hours of plodding pencil on page, and then I get hit with something and fifteen minutes later I'm staring at my own 600 words, and they actually feel like working.

Congrats, and good luck!

Katness said...

trinidarlin: Thank you. You're a strong lady w/a great writing voice. You'll find you have fodder from what you've previously written. ;)

GMJ: It's time.

Sean: Isn't that funny? Wish I had inspiration on call. I've learned to write w/out it, but it's so much more magical w/it.

Jayne Neverow said...

March forth. You inspire me beyond compare.

Russell Holloway said...

Woot! Woot!