Monday, February 23, 2009

Detritus

Detritus of reporters; laid off, voluntarily gone, long ago and more recently.

Stacks of old business cards wrapped in fleshy rubber bands. Tylenol Extra Strength. Pepto Bismol. Old reporter's notebooks. Contacts directory. In and Out boxes. File holders.

The community printer once sat there. The corner desk is empty now.

3 comments:

MrScribbler said...

"Detritus" is a great word. I'd much rather refer to many of the leftovers of my career as detritus than, say, "crap."

Hearing someone say "hey, get your detritus out of here!" is far better than "get your crap out of here, yo."

I've heard the latter. Hope you never do!

louis said...

Given that there's not much to be cheerful about in the present situation of disappearing jobs or in colleagues retiring or changing jobs. But the remnants of those passings may not be only detritus but signs that they have moved on to better things, no?

Katness said...

Louis: I'd like to think so. But the departure is usually sad even if what (eventually?) comes after is better.