"I'm done with journalism," she says. And just like that, a chapter in a prolific book is closed.Just like that, journalism has lost another True Writer. A victim of the Anti-Industry-Revolutionists, the Wait-And-Sees, the Changing Ad Platform and Lack of Response, the Economy. The Excuses. Politics. Bad Decisions.
She gives me her boxes of plastic forks and spoons, a package of patterned paper napkins. To another reporter, The Oversized Bottle of Ketchup. We used to laugh at that ketchup. Today, no one laughs. The writer passes the bottle onto me.
"I have something for you," I tell her editor.
He takes The Oversized Bottle of Ketchup wordlessly with a sad, wry smile and finds a clear spot on his semi-cluttered desk. Like a roadside memorial. Like a trophy.
We will not forget the souls of the True Writers who suffered in The Storm.
Photo by Bernd Vogel from Corbis
1 comment:
This one, though as clear and elegant as I'd expect from you, strikes too close to home for me to have anything to say.
Post a Comment