You know how us Catholic girls can be:
We make up for so much time a little too late.
- Alanis Morissette
I did go back when I was 22, just one time. I told my mother because I thought it would make her happy. She cried. Truth be told, I went more out of curiosity than conversion, but didn’t have the heart to tell her. I was lost in an adult world—almost two thousand miles from the roots I’d been so grateful to escape—and went rummaging through the past looking for something I still haven’t entirely been able to identify.
I wanted to see how it would feel, if I'd feel anything at all. I wanted to see if I'd remember the prayers and the hymns, if I was still closed and cynical.
If Catholicism in a beach town in Florida was any different from a small island in the Caribbean.
I stood alone in the opulent cathedral, the only brown face, stumbling over some words, but remembering most. I was rather impressed with my memory, actually. Strangely enough, I also felt safe. It was an old life that I now had the luxury of remembering almost fondly; a good place to visit, but never to stay. The priest’s accent was different, a nasal Midwestern twang, but his intonation was the same, Trinidadian lilt or no. Nothing in this world had changed.
I never went back.
6 comments:
Stunning. I want to see the whole thing.
This I understand.
I have no words, but great entry. Now, I really have to read that paper.
This gets better with each new reading....
Been there, done that, felt like you did, except that this is a Catholic boy, not girl, former altarboy, accolyte, altarserver (the label and role have undergone some evolution since my time, way back before you were born) and graduate of great Catholic schools in Trinidad.
Cuz: I'll e-mail.
Coffeewallah: I know. And thanks. It's good to commiserate.
Angel's Mom: Ummm... And you're waiting on what?? :-)
Scribbles: Thanks. *tips hat*
Louis: Catholic boy; Catholic girl: Same trauma.
Post a Comment