Sunday, April 09, 2006

Joining the collective



We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection.
- Anais Nin


In the three years I’ve been blogging and the three journals I’ve kept – one outgrown, one deleted, one still a constant in my life – I’ve remained anonymous or, at the very least, closeted from a wider readership within one of the more insular blogging communities.

It was a combination of wanting to write freely without the self-censorship that access by familiar people brings, and of not wanting to leave myself vulnerable by revealing too much on the Internet. In a sense, I sought comfort in anonymity, meting out as much or as little of myself as I wanted to the very strangers from whom I guarded myself.

But over the past few weeks I realized how I’ve limited my own sphere by remaining tied to this one community. I’ve stumbled upon beautiful blogs, intelligent, well-written blogs, honest blogs, blogs I may have never even come across had I not followed the yellow link road outside of my comfort zone.

It’s why I decided that it was time for me to join the collective, to not be afraid of airing not only my writing but also myself to the world.

It has begun.

No comments: