Monday, January 18, 2010

Gen Y Journos (to the rescue)

Last week I spotted an @journalistics tweet in my tweet stream about the weekly Gen Y Journalist Series by PR-diva-in-the-making, Kristina Allen. And the first thing I thought was, "Finally!" Second? "You go, girl!"

Every week Kristina interviews a different Gen Y journalist via e-mail about how PR professionals can approach the new breed of tech savvy, social media-oriented journos. What pitches work. What pitches don't. And why.

The funny thing is that we complain about these things almost every day in our newsroom: Generic press releases; releases irrelevant to our coverage area or beats; releases with spelling errors; 90-second voice mail messages from PR reps. That day, I'd completed a survey where I answered that just 1 to 10 percent of pitches were relevant and likely to get picked up.

Asking reporters about the best way to capture their attention and then get the story out seems like a no-brainer, right? Right? That's why Kristina's series, especially from someone relatively new to the industry (she's 23), was such a bright spot.

Check out my interview; it ran today. (This year's my fifth year in journalism full-time, but I'm still a GenY'er, dammit! Oye. Think I just threw my back out...)

1 comment:

Kristina Allen said...

Thanks for agreeing to the interview and writing this post! I hope we are able to work together again in the future!