Posting a little late--we ran this Oct. 20--but here's my Accent advance on Chris Rock's documentary, Good Hair, which launched nationwide Oct. 23. What Is 'Good' Hair?
Black community debates controversial, expensive topic
Black community debates controversial, expensive topic
I first heard about "good hair" in college. And apparently I had it.
Frizzy curls that I paid little attention to. I'd wake up, fluff and run. Or roll a bun and be done. But the "good" hair thing? That was new.
I grew up in Trinidad, where cultural and ethnic blending is a fine, taken-for-granted art. My curls came from an East Indian mother and a black father, mostly.
My concept of hair was that it was beautiful regardless of shade, texture or style.
But being at a historically black college in the heart of a thriving black community taught me that not everyone felt the same way.
In his man-on-the-street documentary "Good Hair" -- which snagged a special jury prize at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival -- comedian Chris Rock takes on what many in the black community see as a taboo topic.
He visits beauty salons, hair shows and even science labs in an irreverent yet socially conscious exploration of how hair affects the community's self-esteem, finances and relationships.
His impromptu interview subjects talk about everything from touching a black woman's hair to "creamy crack," as often-pricey hair relaxers are called in jest.
Rock's motivation for the Jeff Stilson-directed flick? An off-handed question from his daughter on why she didn't have "good" hair.
Read the rest.
Read the rest.
Photo of yours truly from The News-Journal by Sean McNeil
1 comment:
Second read, and it's still a fine, tight piece of writing....
What a joy it is to see first-class work!
Post a Comment