Thursday, February 08, 2007

A little heartbreak (goes a long way?)

I did a story a few days ago about a wildlife rehabilitator caring for displaced wildlife after the tornadoes – baby squirrels and birds, so far.

It’s truly a labor of love. There’s no financial gain, no time to hold another job to make any real money, only the joy, I suppose, of helping animals – if that’s your passion.

She keeps these baby squirrels warm, feeds them every few hours with a tiny bottle and will eventually release them in a few months when they’re ready.

It’s difficult to let something you’ve nurtured and loved and formed such an intense bond with run off into the woods and follow its own path.

You know you’ll probably never see it again the same way as when you had it in the palm of your hand. It’s like a little heartbreak every time, I guess.

You send it off, wish it luck and thank God it was in your life to show you what direction the sun shone so you could grow.

Photo courtesy the Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Center

No comments: